Pizza is one of those foods everyone craves, in part because it’s so darned customizable! There’s something for everyone: You can go the Hawaiian route with pineapple and ham; veg out with a banana pepper, mushroom, and red-onion pie; add some spice with chilies; or make your own creation with anchovies, chicken, tuna, or sausage. If you can dream it, you can eat it!
But it’s not just toppings that are open to different ingredient variations; there are endless crust possibilities as well. When it comes to pizza, you’ve got thin crusts, thick crusts, and stuffed crusts—think cheese sauce, or even sausage-filled! Then, of course, there are deep-dish pizzas that are best eaten with a knife and fork.
I’m a big fan of them all, but if you were to press me for a favorite, I think I’d go with a thin crust and top it with a lot of veggies and cheese. But I wouldn’t just settle for any thin-crust pizza; I’d go for one with a protein-packed crust.
More specifically, I’d whip this up and share it with the world!
Thin Protein Pizza Crust
Liquid egg whites: 1/2 cup
Gluten-free rolled oats: 3/8 cup
Herbamare (or salt and pepper to taste): 1 tsp
- Using a hand-held blender or food processor, blend all the ingredients together until you get a thick pancake-like batter.
- Heat a nonstick pan, and add a teaspoon of coconut oil or some low-calorie cooking oil/spray. Turn the heat to high until your oil begins to sizzle.
- Add 1/2 of the batter to the pan, spreading it on the surface of the pan thinly with a spatula. Turn the heat down to medium to ensure your crust cooks evenly and doesn’t burn.
- Once the bottom of the crust has cooked, flip it.
- Remove the crust from the pan and add your toppings. Begin with tomato paste, and then add your choice of topping. Finish by topping with cheese.
- Place the crust with all of your toppings under the grill or oven broiler for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the pizza looks done. That’s it. Bon appétit!
Serving size: 1 (crust alone)
Recipe yields: 2 crusts
Amount per serving
Fat 2 g
Carbs 12 g (2 g fiber)
Protein 14 g